WHAT IS A KETOGENIC DIET(keto diet)?
A keto diet is the type of diet in which most of the calorie intake is from fats, a very minimal amount of calorie intake is from carbohydrates.
This type of diet makes the body to feed on and burn fats rather than carbohydrates for energy.
The carbohydrates that we eat turn into glucose inside our body, which further helps get energy for the functioning brain and body.
When we do not intake adequate amount of carbohydrates, our body starts to burn fat for energy. The fat that accumulates in the body brakes into two parts that are fatty acids and ketone bodies.
And now these ketone bodies provide energy to the brain instead of glucose. And having a massive amount of ketone bodies in the blood is called “Ketosis.”
Which in simple words is a process of using body fat as a source of energy?
Summary- A keto diet is a low carb, high fats and essential protein diet that makes the body to draw energy from the body fats only.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF KETO DIET?
Helps lose weight
A keto diet can help speed up weight loss as it takes more to turn fats into energy than it takes to turn carbs. Also, as the diet is high in protein, it doesn’t leave you hungry.
Although acne are due to many reasons but diet and blood sugars can be one of those.
Eating refined carbs cuts the gut bacteria and helps in better blood flow, which is very beneficial for skin health. So surely keto diet can help reduce and control acne.
Deals with cancer
Many Recent investigations have shown how keto diet can prevent and also treat certain sorts of cancers. It can also be a suitable complementary treatment to chemotherapy and radiation in people that have cancer, because it will help create more oxidative stress in cancer cells.
Improves heart health
A keto diet helps reduce bad cholesterol and significantly increase the good cholesterol levels in the body.
Keto diets are hence good for maintaining and improvising heart health.
Although there is a need of more research in the context of keto diet and the brain, its already proven keto diet offers neuroprotective benefits.
These may help treat or prevent conditions like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and even some sleep disorders.
Children following a keto diet have better alertness and cognitive functioning.
A keto diet serves many benefits related to metabolism, neurology and body insulin
WHAT TO EAT IN KETO DIET?
While following a keto diet you should base most of your meals across these foods. Mostly on whole ingredients.
Here is list of those foods:
- Low carb vegetables are good for a keto diet.Green vegetables, onion, tomato, and peppers, etc. are amazing examples of low carb veggies.
- One can have avocados as a whole meal.
- Whole eggs have amazing health benefits.
- You can have unprocessed cheese.
- Fatty fishes like Salmon, Tuna, and Trout are similarly excellent.
- You can have meats like chicken, ham, steak, bacon, sausage, turkey, etc.
- Grass-fed butter and Ghee are a great source of healthful fats.
- You can also have nuts and seeds. Almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. are very traditional fats sources.
Summary- You should base your keto diet around meats, eggs, fatty fishes, nuts, cheese, butter and avocados etc.
WHAT ALL YOU SHOULD AVOID?
Any food that is high in carbohydrates should be limited in a keto diet.
So here is a list of foods that you should avoid.
- All fruits except small portions of berries like strawberries are not suitable.
- While following a low carb diet, you should avoid beans like Peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Root vegetables and tubers like Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc are high in carbs. Therefore, one should avoid consuming these.
- Sugary foods like soda, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, candy, etc. are high in carbs.
- Avoid having Grains or starches like Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
- Avoid Low-fat or diet products. These are highly treated and are high in carbohydrates.
- Exclude some of the condiments or sauces that contain sugar and unhealthy fats.
- Try to avoid unhealthy fats like processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Avoid alcohol because of their carb content. Many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis.
Avoid carb-based foods.
WHAT ALL SNACKS CAN WE HAVE?
These are a few snacks that you can have in between meals.
- Fatty meat or fish
- A handful of nuts or seeds
- Cheese with olives
- 1–2 hard-boiled eggs
- 90% dark chocolate
- A low-carb milkshake
- Full-fat yogurt
- Strawberries and cream
- Nut butter
Its okay to eat between meals but smaller portions and less often. Its not easy to cut diet so easily.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS?
There is nothing that does not have sode effects because there is nothing that suits all.
So here is a list of side effects you may face while following a keto diet.
Keto flu results in poor energy and mental function, increased hunger, sleep issues, nausea, digestive discomfort and decreased exercise performance.
What to do in this case?
You can initially start with a low-carb diet.
This may help your body to learn to burn more fat before you completely eliminate carbs.
You can add salts to your diet and have more water to maintain the water- mineral level of the body.
It can also result in constipation, liver and kidney related issues and nutrition deficiency etc in some people.
There are side effects but you can prevent them by not instantly changing your regime and by initiating with minar changes.
OTHER LOW CARB DIETS.
The Atkins diet is divided into four phases.
As we move from one phase to the other, we can gradually increase the carb intake.
We can also start consuming foods that were eliminated in a previous stage.
Phase 1 : 20-25 grams of carbs including leafy veggies, nuts, cheese, seeds and proteins.
Phase 2 : 25-50 grams of carbs adding fruits, legumes and other veggies.
Phase 3 : 50-80 grams of carbs adding whole grain foods.
Phase 4 : Adding 5 grams increase in carbs steadily.
In this diet foods are classified in colours.
Green foods are to eat freely, yellow foods can be consumed in moderation, and red foods should be completely eliminated.
Green Zone foods:
Meat, seafood, fruits and vegetables, and coconut.
Yellow Zone foods:
Nuts, seeds, corn, potatoes, and fruits with higher amounts of sugar.
Red Zone foods:
Soy, soft drinks, dried fruits, all cheese, vegetable oils, gluten, chickpeas, lentils, and chia seeds.
Before going for a keto diet, do consult a doctor to know your body type and if keto diet is good for you or not.
TELL US YOUR FAVORITE PART ABOUT THE DIET IN THE COMMENTS SECTION BELOW.