What are triceps?/ Tricep Anatomy.
The tricep is a muscle with three heads; the lateral head, the medial head, and the long head. It is at the back of the upper arm. This muscle is principally responsible for the extension of the elbow joint.
How and why to train triceps for bigger arms?
One can train their triceps, both through isolated movements and compound movements.
People usually focus on biceps when it comes to getting bigger arms. Whereas, it is the triceps that constitute a larger proportion of arms than biceps.
Some of the actions you should take care of while performing any of the tricep workouts.
It is very essential to have a body that is adaptive to triceps. You cannot wish for toned triceps with a skinny body.
Eat more and work on the entire body and not just triceps or arms.
HAVE PROPER REST.
You need to give rest to the body part you want to build.
After you work out the muscles lose strength and get stronger while healing.
This process is called super-compensation.
VARY MOVEMENTS AND VOLUME.
Isolated tricep workouts are very effective. But, you will not see results until you work on the surrounding muscles as well.
Therefore, it is necessary to work on your, biceps, forearms, shoulders, back, and chest.
Also, do not stick on to the same weight or the same number of repeats. Keep on adding as soon as you get habitual of the current volume.
When you make a strong grip, it helps you handle heavier weights.
Also, it helps build more muscles, that are thick and strong.
DO NOT FORGET LEGS.
When you train your legs there is a boost of testosterone and growth hormone in your blood.
So, by training your arms after training your legs, you will get better results.
Also, the deadlift is an amazing exercise.
You can always go for bicep workouts after this.
DO NOT TRAIN YOUR TRICEPS TOO MUCH
Usually, one or two heavy triceps training in a week is enough.
Keeping these important things in mind, let us look at some very effective tricep workouts.
There are a large number of tricep workouts with endless variations.
Here is a list of some of the most prominent tricep workouts.
These are of two types; bench dip and upright dip.
Dips are unique and easy to do tricep workouts.
You can easily add weights to any of the dips. But, prefer starting with just bodyweight.
A close grip will help you target triceps more.
HOW TO DO IT? (BENCH DIP)
- Sit on the edge of the bench and grip the edge next to your hips.
- Extend your legs and place your feet about hip-width apart with the heels touching the ground.
- Look straight with your chin up.
- Push into your hands to lift your body from the bench.
- Slide forward and get off from the bench, but not too much. Keep your back near the edge.
- Lower your body until your elbows are bent between 45 and 90 degrees.
- Slowly push yourself back up to the initial position and repeat.
HOW TO DO IT? (UPRIGHT DIP)
- Hold your body at arm’s length with your arms nearly locked above the bars.
- Slowly lower your body.
- Keep your torso upright and your elbows close to your body. (This helps to attain a better focus on triceps involvement.)
- Lower your body until there is a 90-degree angle formed between the upper arm and forearm.
- Now, push your torso back up using your triceps to bring your body back to the starting position.
BENCH PRESS (Close grip)
It is one of the great tricep workouts. The close grip ensures better and targeted triceps involvement.
HOW TO DO IT?
- Lie back on a flat bench.
- Lift the bar from the rack, using a close grip, and hold it straight over your face with your arms locked. This will be the initial position.
- As you breathe in, bring the barbell down slowly by bending your elbows until you feel it on your middle chest.
- Keep the elbows close to the body to maximize triceps involvement.
- Stay there for a second and then bring the bar back to the initial position by pushing the bar using your triceps muscles.
- MAKE SURE – It should take at least twice as long to go down than to come up.
OVERHEAD TRICEP EXTENSION.
This workout is isolated to the long head of the muscle. Any of the overhead workouts are helpful for long head isolation.
HOW TO DO IT?
- Sit on a bench(or any flat and non-rigid surface.) and grab one dumbbell.
- Form a diamond shape with both hands to grip the top end of the dumbbell.
- Keeping your elbows up and your core tight, raise the dumbbell over your head.
- By bending at the elbow lower the dumbbell down the top of your back.
- Maintain a strong chest while doing so and keep your shoulders as still as possible.
LYING TRICEP EXTENSION.
This is another tricep workout that engages the long head of tricep.
Doing the movement on an incline bench will work your triceps long head. Whereas, doing the movement on a decline bench places more emphasis on the lateral triceps head.
HOW TO DO IT?
- On the inner grips using an overhand grip, grip the EZ bar and extend your arms straight up.
- Slowly lower the bar by bending your forearms in such a way that the bar is about an inch from your forehead, keeping your elbows fixed and tucked in.
- Your upper arms should always be perpendicular to the floor.
- Slowly extend your arms back to the initial position without locking your elbows.
ROPE TRICEP PUSHDOWN.
Doing this tricep workout with the right weights will make it effective. More weight will lead to shoulder and back involvement, losing the target from triceps.
HOW TO DO IT?
- Attach a rope handle to the high pulley of a cable station.
- Grab the bar with an overhand grip by bending your arms, your hands should be shoulder-width apart.
- Make sure you keep your upper arms next to your sides.
- Without moving your upper arms, push the bar down until your elbows are straight and locked.
- Then, slowly return to the initial position.
So these are some of the most effective and famous tricep workouts. These not only help you build a good looking upper arm but also helps to boost strength.
Keep all the things discussed in the initial part and start working on your body accordingly.
You can not just keep on doing tricep workouts day and night and expect results. Muscles need proper rest.
These workouts should be a part of your routine that consists of other things like biceps and legs workouts.
ALL THE BEST!
STAY FIT! STAY HEALTHY!
YOU CAN ALWAYS REACH US THROUGH THE COMMENTS SECTION BELOW. ALSO, TELL US WHAT ELSE YOU WANT US TO POST ABOUT.