Dumbbell exercises can help you in gaining muscles or losing weight. You can do this intermediate level Dumbbell workout at home.
See Beginner Level Dumbbell Workout at home.
Have you ever thought of doing a full-body dumbbell workout at home? Well here are the best dumbbell exercises you can do!
If you don’t want to get into dumbbell exercises, try some bodyweight home workout. (What are these?)
If you do not like that too, try these five basic exercises to stay fit.
Full Body Dumbbell Workout At Home.
You can do this dumbbell workout at home with minimum equipment, actually just dumbbells.
See, Basic Home Gym Essentials, that are a must have.
The below exercises are for shoulders.
Involves Shoulders primarily. It also works biceps, triceps and chest muscles.
How To Do It?
- Grab a pair of dumbbells in front of your shoulders, with your palms towards your body.
- Slowly, rotate your wrist and make your palms face forward in the opposite direction to your body.
- While rotating your palms, lift the dumbbells over your head and lift until your arms are extended straight over your head.
- Pause and get back slowly.
Note- Begin with less weights and prefer a seated one initially.
Most of the exercises in this intermediate level dumbbell workout at home look easy, but require great precision and can be extremely tiring.
What are the other effective shoulder workouts?
Bent Over Dumbbell Raises
Now, this is one of the best shoulder exercises you can do in a dumbbell workout at home. Lateral deltoids are the target zone for this.
How to do it?
- Stand with a dumbbell in each hand and bend over at the hips.
- Stand in a position in which your torso is just about parallel to the floor.
- Keep your back flat, and your knees slightly bent.
- Let the dumbbells hang beneath you with your elbows straight but not locked out.
- The palms should be facing each other.
- Lift the dumbbells out to your sides. Lift until your upper arms are about parallel with the floor, and are at the level of your shoulders.
- Maintain the same, slightly bent position of your elbows throughout.
- Stay at the top for a second or two, then gently lower the dumbbells back towards the initial position.
Calisthenics Workout For Beginners | Results 100% Guaranteed
The below exercises you can do in a dumbbell workout at home are for biceps.
Dumbbell curls facilitate the working on both arms simultaneously and evenly.
It targets the biceps brachia muscle.
How to do it?
- Hold a barbell with an underhand grip, with the hands placed about at the hip width.
- Start holding the barbell at hip height and squeeze your core.
- Contract your biceps to curl the bar up to shoulder height.
- Squeeze your biceps at the top of the movement and then slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
- Keep your feet strongly planted and avoid using your butt to lift the weight.
- You can emphasise the inner portion of the bicep by taking a wider grip.
- You can target the outer portion of the bicep by taking a narrower grip.
This small difference in the way you hold the dumbbell helps transfer the target muscles. The focus shifts from the biceps brachii to your brachial . (a muscle that can make your arms look thicker and better.)
How to do it?
- Hang a dumbbell at your arm length next to your sides.
- Your palms should be facing your thighs.
- Bend your elbows and curl the dumbbells close to your shoulders without moving your upper arms.
- Stay at that position for a while, then slowly lower the weight back to the initial position.
- Completely straighten your arms, each time you get back to the initial position
As the name suggests, this is one of the isolated bicep exercises and one of the most popular dumbbell workout at home.
It stimulates the muscle fibres on the top of the biceps.
How to do it?
- Get yourself a dumbbell and bench.
- Sit on the bench, spreading your legs.
- Rest your arm holding the dumbbell on the same side leg.
- Keep your upper body upright by placing the other hand on your thigh.
- Curl the weight up while squeezing the bicep.
- Pause at the top and then get back to the original position.
A complete Bicep Workout Routine.
Below are some Exercises you can do in a Dumbbell workout at home for Triceps.
Overhead triceps extension
This exercise is isolated to the long head of the muscle. Any of the overhead workouts are helpful for long head isolation. It is one of the best Exercises you can do in a dumbbell workout at home.
How to do it?
- Sit on a bench(or any flat and non-rigid surface.) and grab one dumbbell.
- Form a diamond shape with both hands to grip the top end of the dumbbell.
- Keeping your elbows up and your core tight, raise the dumbbell over your head.
- By bending at the elbow lower the dumbbell down the top of your back.
- Maintain a strong chest while doing so and keep your shoulders as still as possible.
Dips are unique and easy to do tricep workouts. You can easily add weights to any of the dips. But, prefer starting with just bodyweight.
A close grip will help you target triceps more.
This is one of the best exercises you can do without any weights.
How to do it? (BENCH DIP)
- Sit on the edge of the bench and grip the edge next to your hips.
- Extend your legs and place your feet about hip-width apart with the heels touching the ground.
- Look straight with your chin up.
- Push into your hands to lift your body from the bench.
- Slide forward and get off from the bench, but not too much. Keep your back near the edge.
- Lower your body until your elbows are bent between 45 and 90 degrees.
- Slowly push yourself back up to the initial position and repeat.
How to do it? (UPRIGHT DIP)
- Hold your body at arm’s length with your arms nearly locked above the bars.
- Slowly lower your body.
- Keep your torso upright and your elbows close to your body. (This helps to attain a better focus on triceps involvement.)
- Lower your body until there is a 90-degree angle formed between the upper arm and forearm.
- Now, push your torso back up using your triceps to bring your body back to the starting position.
Lying triceps extension
Doing the movement on an incline bench will work your triceps long head.
Whereas, doing the movement on a decline bench places more emphasis on the lateral triceps head.
How to do it?
- On the inner grips using an overhand grip, grip the EZ bar and extend your arms straight up.
- Slowly lower the bar by bending your forearms in such a way that the bar is about an inch from your forehead, keeping your elbows fixed and tucked in.
- Your upper arms should always be perpendicular to the floor.
- Slowly extend your arms back to the initial position without locking your elbows.
Here are a few exercises you can do in a mediocre level dumbbell workout at home for just the upper body.
We will be posting the exercises for back, chest and lower body to complete this dumbbell workout at home.
Subscribe to our blog for the update, so you can start this routine.